Thursday, August 23, 2012

UFO Pumpkin/The Beginning of Pumpkin Beer Season

It's the end of August and you know what that means! It's officially the beginning of pumpkin beer season! My regular beer distributors St. James Beverage and Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage have started to get in shipments of various pumpkin beers in their stores. Little by little all the big name companies' pumpkin beers have made their way onto the shelves at these two locations and other local Long Island beer shops.

Last year I did a tasting of all the different pumpkin beers that I could get my hands on with mixed results.  With St. James's six-packs of six assorted pumpkin beers it was easy for me to be able to try out all the different pumpkin beers that were available in their store. I narrowed down all of the pumpkin beers I tried to my top 3 choices and UFO Pumpkin came out on top as my #1 pumpkin beer of last year.

Unfortunately all good things have to come to an end and before I knew it the pumpkin beer season came to a close. I was only able to buy one six-pack of UFO Pumpkin before realizing too late that it wasn't available for purchase in the stores any more. In the blink of an eye my favorite pumpkin beer was gone, never to be seen until the next pumpkin beer season.

I made a promise to myself that the second UFO Pumpkin became available again that I would buy it in bulk. Lucky for me the day has finally arrived and UFO Pumpkin is now available again in stores. I spotted it while going on one of my weekly beer runs to St. James Beverage and instantly picked up two six-packs and put them on the counter.

UFO Pumpkin is the pumpkin beer to end them all. It contains the perfect combination of pumpkin flavor and sweet spices that you would find while consuming a piece of pumpkin pie. The flavor isn't overpowering in any way, nor is it bland. The flavor is subtle and the alcohol content is at just the right level (5.9%) to make UFO Pumpkin the perfect light pumpkin beer that doesn't sacrifice any flavor.

UFO Pumpkin pours a beautiful light orange color (as you can see from the picture above) and the amount of head I got while pouring was just the right amount. Immediately after pouring my 12 ounce bottle the smell of the beer drove me headfirst into one of the most satisfying beers I have had this year.

Every sip was enjoyable and the wait for UFO Pumpkin was well worth it. I know what I'll be drinking for the next three months on a regular basis!

UFO Pumpkin was brewed by the Harpoon Brewery in Massachusetts and is their UnFiltered Offering that contains an ABV of 5.9% 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment