Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout


So while finishing up the last two episodes of season 1 of Homeland, I decided to enjoy a light, but tasty beer in the form of Schlafly's Oatmeal Stout.


You might remember Schlafly as the same company who won my award for best Pumpkin Beer of 2013 after doing a blind tasting of six different pumpkin beers with Tom and his mom.

Prior to drinking the pumpkin ale they brewed, I had never heard of the company Schlafly. So when Kurt of Bullseye Wholesale Beverage posted on his Facebook page that he had some Schlafly products available I didn't hesitate to take a drive over and pick up a six-pack of their Oatmeal Stout, especially after how much I loved their pumpkin ale.

Being a stout it was dark brown in color, almost bordering on black. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle, it had a small amount of head that was a little less than what I would have liked, but just enough for me to enjoy.

My first impression upon smelling Schlafly's Oatmeal Stout was a delicious blend of coffee and chocolate mixed in perfect harmony.

The taste was also well balanced and was everything I would expect from a stout. Coffee and Chocolate were the most prevalent of the flavors I tasted and a malt aftertaste was noticeable minutes after taking each sip. Beer Advocate members who reviewed this stout also tasted raisins and oatmeal (obviously) in the beer as well.

Overall I enjoyed Schlafly's take on an Oatmeal Stout and I would gladly drink more of it in the future. I still have a couple of bottles left, so whenever I'm in the mood for a good stout I'll be prepared!


Schlafly's Tap Room is located in St. Louis, Missouri. Their Oatmeal Stout is 5.7% ABV and perfect for anyone who likes darker beers, especially those with rich flavors that break the unconventional mold of the average beer. 

Give Schlafly a try, you won't cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment